Thursday, December 02, 2010

Matisse


I've been neglecting my food blog, so will try to get back on track. I fell into the trap of thinking everything has to be a set piece, with photo, etc. But this is for me to talk about one of my passions -- food and drink -- so I will try to keep it more informal.

On the spur of the moment, we went back to Matisse last night after a long absence, and we loved it. It is a place of many memories for us when we went there regularly with Andrea's parents and partly for that reason, I think, we have been reluctant to go back.

But it is in oasis of civilization in the hurly-burly of downmarket restaurants in our neighborhood. Tablecloths, white napkins, flowers -- quiet! And the food was excellent. I had the grilled Portuguese sardines (did they come from Portugal? is it a Portuguese technique?) which gave me that whiff of the Mediterranean I wanted (yes, I know Portugal is on the Atlantic and not the Mediterranean, but you know what I mean). Andrea had a lovely lentil soup.

My main course was New Zealand venison (a waste, I know, given how much venison on the hoof we have right here in Chevy Chase), and it had a nice, slightly gamey taste cooked to just the right medium rare. Spaetzle and brussels sprouts accompanied it, and I paired it with a very nice California Zinfandel by the glass. By now, you pay $10 everywhere for a glass of wine, but at Matisse you actually get a very good wine.

Andrea had a luscious duck breast that truly was to die for -- tender, very ducky meat with a crispy, spicey skin. She had a glass of red Burgundy (pinot noir) with it.

The owner recognized us and was friendly as always. For some puzzling reason, he seems to have trouble finding good wait staff. We never see the same person -- which is good, because the waiters have been generally not so great, and last night was no exception. All in all, though, a lovely meal and good value. Think we'll be going back more often!

No comments: