Friday, September 02, 2011

Tagine bis


Alas, careful as I was, my first tagine cracked and then broke in circumstances I won't go into. I've decided that Tunisian clay pots probably work well in Tunisia, simmering away over some embers, but they are too anxiety-ridden for cooking on gas stoves.

So Tagine bis is a hardened clay artifact from Emile Henry. Even though they do specify it has to be heated up slowly, it seems a good deal more robust than the first one, though the color is not as pretty.

I inaugurated it with another one of Ghillie Basan's recipes, this one a simple chicken with artichokes and green grapes. Chicken breasts are cut into thick slices and marinated for a couple of hours in olive oil, garlic and turmeric (great color!), then cooked with lots of onion for just 15 min. before adding artichoke hearts, another 5 min. cooking, then add grapes and lots of cilantro. Even better the second day with flatbread (in this case, naan from Whole Foods).

No comments: