Wednesday, October 17, 2012

More whiskey

Went back to Jack Rose to sample more of their whiskeys. I asked the bartender about the Island single malts and he said they tend to have a tangy taste because of their proximity to the sea, a bit like oyster brine. That sounded appealing so I ordered an Arran bourbon cask and found it very nice -- indeed tangy/briny. I was less happy with the Ledaig hogshead from Mull because that tanginess was missing. I would definitely buy a bottle of Arran if I see one in a store.

Switching to bourbon for a change of pace, I tried an Evan Williams single barrel that had a nice complexity and strong vanilla notes. Back to single malts, Speyside this time, I tried an Auchroich Chieftain that seemed a little thin to me, though it had nice flavors. My drinking buddy had a Benromach 18 yr that I tasted and found, by contrast, very full and rich.

These trips are undoubtedly fun but it is a hugely expensive hobby. You can sample more with the 1 oz. pour, but that is ultimately a little unsatisfying. Whether 1 oz. or 2 oz., however, you pay an average $10 an ounce. Clearly, I will have to space out my trips.

The two whiskey consultants are Aaron and Roberto, though this time we just relied on the bartender.

No comments: