Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chili à la Cindy Lou

Getting a little head start on our winter repertoire, I decided to try this chili recipe from Steve Sando's new book, The Rancho Gordo Heirloom Bean Grower's Guide. I don't have any plans to grow beans, but we're such fans of Sando's beans and his earlier cookbook, I wanted to have this one for its recipes and comments on the various kinds of beans.

My usual chili recipe is for Cincinnati-style chili from Epicurious. That is mostly about putting a good mix of spices in with the ground beef and adding a can or two of beans. This recipe, of course, starts with the beans, in this case, Good Mother Stallard beans. I soaked and cooked a pound of these with a mirepoix. When they were soft, I sautéed the ground beef with some more onion and garlic and added it into the beans with 2 cans of diced tomatoes (I took that to mean 28 oz. but it was pretty tomato-y), 1/4 c. cider vinegar, 2 Tbl. balsamic vinegar, 4 Tbl. each of cumin, Mexican oregano, New Mexico chile powder, and brown sugar, 1 Tbl. paprika and 1 tsp. salt. Cook all that for "several hours" -- in this case 3-1/2 -- and you've got yourself a pretty good pot of chili. Can't beat those beans.

No comments: