Monday, January 09, 2012

El Centro DF

Had a very nice time at this new Mexican on 14th Street. Sitting at the bar waiting for our table and watching the food come out of the open kitchen, I fell in love with the Chicken Zarape, a moist chicken breast blanketed with chipotle sauce, topped with a sprinkling of cheese and accompanied by creamy rice and refried beans. It just looked great and I was not disappointed when I actually tasted it. I rarely order chicken in a restaurant but this was well-justified exception.

The grilled skirt steak huaraches and shrimp ceviche appetizers we shared at our table were both good. The churros were a big disappointment, heavy and clearly not freshly made, but the accompanying chocolate and caramel sauces were fine.

What threatens to steal the show at this place is the tequila selection. On the helpful recommendation from our waiter, I got a "vertical tasting" flight of Corzo tequilas. His reasoning was that you can get Don Julio and Herradura everywhere, but Corzo is a little known producer of very fine tequilas, he said. I can't disagree. The tastings of blanco, reposado and anejo were all excellent, though, as is the nature of these small servings, left me wanting more. Another time!

No comments: