Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Grilled rum-soaked shrimp

I have a number of books with grill recipes that I don't use enough so I will be making a concerted effort to find more things in them. So this recipe is from The Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. I had a hankering for shrimp and this seemed fairly easy.

To start with, though, I found the directions for prepping the shrimp hard to understand. In the recipe, it says peel the 2 lbs of shrimp and make an incision along the back to pull out that "vein." But the side note says, "I leave the skins on to protect the meat." I think two people wrote this book and the side note writer didn't read the recipe.

So I opted to keep the shell on and pull out as much of the vein as I could from the top. It might be possible to devein and leave the shell on but I would have to do some research on that. I used the 16 count, which the author describes as "medium" and the Fishery describes as "jumbo." But especially if you are peeling them on your plate, bigger is better.

The full recipe (I halved it) is for 2 lbs of shrimp that you clean and immerse in a marinade of 1-1/2 c. pineapple juice, 8 Tbl lime juice, 1/2 c. dark rum, 2 Tbl chopped cilantro, 1 tsp chopped garlic and salt and pepper and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours -- not any longer because the citrus "cooks" the shrimp.

You then thread the shrimp onto a skewer, pushing it through the tail then curling the top part down to pierce a second time, making a very attractive presentation. Grill 3 to 4 min. on a side until opaque. The recipe calls for a mango-lime relish of mango, bell pepper, red onion, more pineapple and lime juices and chopped garlic and cilantro as well as red wine vinegar and curry powder, which didn't feel like fooling with. Some sort of salsa or relish would enhance the shrimp, however. We just squeezed more limes over it and it was plenty good. Not sure how it would work to serve unpeeled shrimp on the relish, as specified by the recipe.

I also fixed, as recommended, the authors' grilled sweet potatoes, which are peeled, cut into slices and parboiled, then glazed with molasses mixed with orange juice, butter and allspice. This was fine, but I'm not sure you need the glaze.

No comments: