Friday, June 15, 2012

More trout

I went fishing just a few times as a child and the only time I remember catching a fish was during our vacation in Colorado, when we were at the cabin of my great-aunt Georgette outside Louisville. All of us caught some trout and pan-fried them that evening in the cabin. I thought it was delicious and very cool that you could just catch food in the lake.

So I've always had a soft spot for trout and loved it in Europe, especially in Germany, that trout was on the menu so often. In Germany, it is usually offered "blau" for poached or "Mullerin Art" for pan-fried.

I enjoyed the trout at Addie's last week so much, I decided to have it again on one of my solo nights at home. I went on to YouTube to see a demonstration of pan-frying, which at least showed me there's not big secret to it. The recipe being demonstrated was for trout with bacon and garlic, so that's what I made.

You flour the trout and fry it 5 min. on each side in a combination of butter and oil. Remove the trout and keep it warm. Put 2 "rashers" of bacon cut into strips into skillet, and after a couple of minutes add some chopped shallot and garlic. When soft, add 2 Tbl of red wine vinegar and some chopped parsley, and pour this sauce over the warm trout.

I drained off the original cooking oil from the trout because it had burned a bit, so I probably should have enriched the sauce with a little extra butter. This sauce is a bit like the "Finkenwerder Art" that is often served with flounder in Germany. In general, all this is a little overpowering for the trout, so I think I'll try poaching it next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Trout, I haven't had that in sooo long. When I was newly married, my husband used to fish locally in NJ and bring it home. I had a great recipe, can't remember it now or even where it got to. But, that is one fish that I truly love. It has a definite distinct flavor. I guess it is for discriminating tastes.

Unknown said...

WOW! Trout, I haven't had that in sooo long. When I was newly married, my husband used to fish locally in NJ and bring it home. I had a great recipe, can't remember it now or even where it got to. But, that is one fish that I truly love. It has a definite distinct flavor. I guess it is for discriminating tastes.
Sorry, forget to leave a name.
Veronica
www.veronicalsingleton.com